Deportation/Removal FAQ

Will I be deported if my visa expires?

You may be. If you overstay your visa for more than 180 days, you may be subjected to removal proceedings. In addition, you may be barred from legally re-entering the United States for up to ten years.

Can you seek legal immigration status after being deported

If you have been deported, you may be barred from seeking legal status in the U.S. for a certain amount of time. Depending on the reason for your deportation, this could be as little as one year, or as long as twenty years. In extreme cases, someone may be permanently barred from re-entering the U.S.

Can you fight against a deportation?

Yes, although it can be a long and complicated process. If you are facing deportation, you should contact an immigration lawyer who can help you defend yourself.

What do I do if I receive a removal order?

If you have been given a valid deportation order, you can attempt to contest it in immigration court. You will not be immediately removed from your home; instead, you will be given time to wrap up your affairs in the United States while the government arranges for your travel documents and transportation back to your country of origin.

What happens if I found out I got an order of removal but never received notice?

The removal order can be rescinded if your attorney files a motion to reopen with the immigration court.

How do you know if you are going to be removed?

Before the government can legally deport you, they are supposed to give you notice of deportation proceedings so that you can defend against it in court. If you have not received notice of a deportation, you may be able to use that to your advantage in deportation proceedings.

Client Testimonials

Practice Areas

Temporary Protected Status Temporary Protected Status
We have extensive experience representing clients who are eligible for Temporary Protected Status
Permanent Residence Permanent Residence “Green Card”
We can help you get permanent residency (green card) through family-based immigrant visas and employment-based immigrant visas.
Deportation Deportation/Removal
We defend individuals who have been placed in removal/deportation proceedings.
Non-Immigrant Visas Non-Immigrant Visas
We help clients determine which visa category is right for them and assist them with the petition and visa processing.
Naturalization Naturalization (Citizenship)
We help clients in every step of the Naturalization process. From preparing to file, to the post-interview follow-ups, we provide clients with our legal services.
Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals Appeals
We provide a detailed review of your case that was denied and prepare arguments using the facts and law to address the issues.
Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals Waivers
We have extensive experience preparing waiver applications for clients who require a waiver to become a lawful permanent resident (green card holder)
Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (“DREAMers”)
We have successfully handled hundreds of deferred action cases for “DREAMers” and continue to assist the next generation of young Americans.
Personal Injury Personal Injury
We represent clients who have been injured in auto accidents, premises liability (slip/trip and fall) cases, negligent supervision cases, dog bite cases, and construction accidents.
Practice Areas Additional Practice Areas
We represent clients who are involved in court cases in a variety of matters such as family law, uncontested divorce, adoption, criminal defense, personal injury defense, and general litigation.

Attorney Profile

Skip to content