To those that do not have experience with them, slip and fall accidents (which are also known as trip and fall accidents) can seem almost comical. However, victims of these sorts of accidents may learn just how serious they can be, and how much of an impact they can have on someone’s life. Here are some of the reasons you should watch out if you or someone you love is injured in a slip and fall accident:
- The most likely victims are also the most likely to be seriously hurt
- One of the biggest reasons that slip and fall accidents are so serious is that they are most common among people who are vulnerable to those sorts of injuries. This includes the elderly, who often suffer from arthritis, osteoporosis, and other medical issues that can make injuries more severe. It also includes those with chronic medical issues that can impair a person’s ability to avoid slipping and falling, or which can make it harder to heal from a severe injury.
- Slip and fall accidents can inflict severe injuries
- The vast majority of slip and fall accidents only result in minor injuries, so many people do not take them seriously. However, when people do suffer severe injuries, they can result in hospitalization, and even the need for rehabilitation after recovery. In some extreme circumstances, slip and fall accidents can even be fatal, depending on how bad the accident was and how vulnerable the victim was.
- Putting off treatment increases the risk of complications
- Because many people do not take slip and fall injuries seriously, they often put off seeking medical treatment. By failing to get immediate medical treatment, they increase the risk of complications from any injuries they have suffered. They also may make it harder to demonstrate that their injuries are the result of the slip and fall, making it more difficult to pursue legal action.
- There may be long-term effects on a victim’s health
- Even when someone gets immediate medical treatment, there is always the risk of long-term harm from a slip and fall accident. These injuries may result in broken bones, dislocations, muscle strain, or even traumatic brain injuries (TBIs). These injuries can have a negative impact on a victim’s health for months, or even years afterwards, depending on how severe they are.
- You have a limited window to pursue legal relief
- Delaying may not only cost you medically, but also legally. Slip and fall claims are subject to the statute of limitations, and must be filed within three years of the injury. The longer you wait to seek compensation for your injuries, the more likely it is that you will not get to have your day in court. That is why you should speak to a lawyer with experience in personal injury law as soon as possible.
For more than 40 years, the Drucker Law Firm has been providing personal and quality legal services to individuals, universities, and corporations throughout the New York City and Tri-State area. We have represented three generations of clients in personal injury cases, as well as immigration, real estate, and general litigation matters. If you have a legal issue related to personal injury law, please give us a call at (718) 458-1489 to schedule a consultation or visit our contact page.